One of the authors I remember from elementary school is Lloyd Alexander. I remember the amphibian reading aloud from The Book of Three while we were on one of the families long drives. I had read the five book Chronicles of Prydain by the time I was done with fifth grade.
Mr. Alexander died this past May. The site that let me know that, also suggested re-reading his works as a sort of tribute or celebration of his literary efforts. When Dani and I were at the library yesterday, I decided to check out whichever of his books were available. I had forgotten that two stories I remember well were his. I just finished reading The Cat Who Wished To Be a Man. When I read the blurb in the back about the author, it mentioned he lived, "near Philadelphia with his French wife." That certainly piqued my interest. I don't recall having known that earlier. I decided to see if I could find which suburb or town he called home. Wikipedia clarified that for me. He graduated from Upper Darby High School and lived in Drexel Hill. (That is about 10 - 15 miles south of where we lived.)
For those who have not had the pleasure of meeting Gurgi, Taran, Sebastian or Lionel, you are missing some great companions. For those who have, isn't it time to revisit old friends?
16 September 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
The Cat Who Wished to Be a Man is my favorite Lloyd Alexander book... I don't know how we ended up with a hard back copy of this book in our house when I was ten (I think Daddy-O aquired it somewhere) but I was so excited to take it to school and read along as our 5th grade teacher read it out loud to the class.
Speaking of 5th grade, my fifth grader had an assignment to read a Newberry Award book for a book report and I tried to get him to read High King (by Alexander) but he rejected it because it was the last book in a series. He eventually chose to read The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. I re-read it with him and he boasted to his friends who were also reading it that I had read The Hero and the Crown about 33 times!
Woodine and I read The Book of Three and the Black Cauldron just a few months ago. I remember reading the black cauldron when I was young and it really affecting me because Prince Ellydir, who was just horrible to Taran, gave his life to break the cauldron. I remember being surprised that a "bad" guy did a noble thing.
We should finish the series, and maybe check out the cat who wanted to be a man. Thanks for the Blog Paul!
I just reread The Black Cauldron last month! It was wonderful and it made me want to read the rest of the series. I haven't cause the class I'm taking right nowe is taking up too much time but soon...
You guys are so cool. I have never read any of those books, but now I will check them out.
They are good books! My class just picked The Book of Three for me to read for Read Aloud.
Post a Comment