So, yesterday, Paul and I did our annual Saturday-before-Father's Day drive up to SLC International Airport to pick up the Breezy Squeezy Monster Squirrelly Girly who was inbound from Little Rock.
As usual, Delta sent me to await her arrival at Gate B2 though in my heart-of-hearts, I KNEW that I would then end up running down the upper B concourse to ride the escalator down to the lower B concourse so that I could then meet her at Gate B12. It's happened on every single one of her previous inbound trips. But, just on the off chance that Delta was correct this time, I dutifully sat waiting at Gate B2.
A gentleman and his pre-teen son who looked about Bria's age approached the Gate B2 personnel about 3 minutes after I sat down and inquired about the same flight I was expecting. The gal started to look on her paperwork to find the inquired about Gate and time and I volunteered, "Little Rock arrives at 8:17 pm." The gal was grateful and the man then took a seat just behind me.
I inquired if he was picking up a child as I was and he said said. I then forewarned him that he'd most likely be running downstairs to Gate B12 moments after the plane had actually arrived because on all my previous trips to pick up my daughter that is what had happened to me. He said he hoped not. I wasn't holding out any hope since there was still an already boarded outbound plane sitting at Gate B2 that was not finished having it's luggage loaded.
At 8:13 pm, I told the man that I was stepping over to Gate B4 where there was airline personnel to inquire if the Little Rock flight had arrived at Gate B12 yet since there was no longer any personnel standing at the desk at Gate B2. He said ok. The gals at B4 insisted that Bria's plane was still headed to Gate B2 though I informed them that was impossible since the outbound plane hadn't yet left and I was ALWAYS directed after the arrival to go downstairs to B12. Would they please check with Gate B12 and see if Little Rock was in for me? They started to make their call just as my fellow waiter came up and said his son had just called him from Gate B12. I thanked him and asked for my precious Gate Pass so that I might go collect Bria. He didn't know how to get there so I told him to follow me as I was old hat at this sit-patiently-at-B2-then-run-quickly-downstairs-to-B12-game by now and would show him the way.
Off we set and my jaw about hit the floor as I rounded the partitioning wall that separates Gate B10 from Gate B12. Instead of my baby girl (ok! She's not been a baby for a long time now, but to me she will always be the Brown-eyed Baby! *grin*), I found this stranger awaiting me:

Six months ago, I am sure I sent home a little girl. And I am greeted by this slim TALL darling teenage with a glowing green.
Wow! Where had my baby gone? She's all grown up and a young lady now I had been informed!
I'll say! *grin*
So, I snapped this picture quickly from my cell phone and sent it off to Bert in Ohio since I had promised to send her a picture as soon as I had picked Bria up.
Bert: "Whoa! Who is THAT?!? And what has she done to my little sister?" (That about summed up my first response as well though you have to replace sister with daughter!"
I'm glad my Squeezy Breezy is here but I am sad to have missed her blossoming into a young lady. Gonna take some getting used to. But I sure love having her here!



2 comments:
Welcome to Brea. I too was surprised!
We're glad you're here Brea, and Mimi can hardly wait for you to get back for OH so y'all can play together!
Post a Comment